Create a barrier to the effects of outside air temperature and moisture (humidity).
Create a barrier to the upward movement of vapor coming from the ground of the crawlspace.
With those barriers in place a dehumidifier can really do its job of conditioning that crawlspace!
First – move the insulating envelope to the perimeter walls – not the sub-floor above the crawlspace. Use a product that has superior insulating ability and most important – is an air barrier!
Next – seal off the vapor coming from the ground (before they reach the air of the crawlspace) by installing a Vapor Barrier not a Vapor Retarder. Remember – to be a true vapor barrier the product must have a vapor permeance rating of less than .001! The installation of the Vapor Barrier is critical. If all the seams, edges, etc. are not properly sealed from the ground below – then the install will not be effective.
Final step: Now that the crawlspace has been encapsulated it should be conditioned to maintain a consistent relative humidity (RH). In our area the recommended RH should be maintained at a consistent 45-55%. Always keep in mind that temperature also has an effect on moisture levels.
All this sounds great but what are the products, installation methods, etc. needed to accomplish a true encapsulation?
It can be difficult to recognize the difference between crawlspace encapsulation and insulation. When you choose Complete Insulation, you don’t need to lose sleep trying to work out what you need, as we do all the work for you! Rather than throwing a quick fix at a problem, we investigate its origins to provide you with the best insulation product and service possible. Our local team is knowledgeable, professional, and friendly, offering you competitive prices and a genuine approach.
Call us for a no-cost estimate
At Complete Insulation we understand the importance of the investment you’re about to make, which is why we offer free inspections.
We conduct an onsite inspection to determine exactly the needs of your crawlspace. After this inspection a detailed estimate will be provided (typically within 1-day). After reviewing the estimate – we will discuss the estimate, review any options that may have presented and answer your questions.
If a decision is made to move forward, we will begin the process of setting up your installation schedule. As part of the process – our installation manager will make a pre-installation onsite visit. Check site conditions for the Dehumidifier installation (if that option is selected). This just ensures that the installation will go as smooth as possible.
Day 1: Preparation of the Crawlspace
Upon arrival our prep. crew will get right to work. Dependent your exact needs they will do the following:
- Remove existing vapor retarder, the fiberglass insulation in the ceiling of the crawlspace. If your crawlspace has the sprayed-on cellulose at the perimeter walls – we will remove that product from the wall and remove it. Any removal we do is disposed of off-site (we take it with us).
- We then install work lights. By the way we will leave these in place if you would like to keep them.
- Next is the detailed prep. work:
- Removal of any debris on the floor of the crawl.
- Light rake the floor.
- Install sealant at the joint between the foundation wall and the sill plate.
- Pre-install the Viper 10ML reinforced poly at the base of the of the foundation wall. This is typically a 2’ wide piece of material. Our spray foam crew will seal this piece to the foundation wall (very important).
- Pre-install the pier wraps (if applicable). Again – this a setup step for the spray foam crew who will seal the top of the pier wrap.
- If this option is selected, we will perform the install at this time. Get it ready for use after we complete the Day 2 install.
Remember – any removal we take with us!
Day 2: Install
Next is the spray foam crew.
- They will install closed cell sprayfoam at the rim joist, perimeter walls and seal the vapor barrier at the piers.
- When applying the closed cell sprayfoam at the foundation walls a 3” termite inspection strip will be left just below the sill plate on the foundation wall.
- Next is the final piece of the install. The crew will place the Viper 10ML reinforced poly on the crawlspace floor and tape all seams and joints as required.
- The Installation Manager will place the Dehumidifier into operation.
Your Questions Answered
Crawlspace encapsulation is where your crawlspace— the small area underneath your home or building— is sealed to prevent moisture and insects from getting in.
The crawlspace is covered in plastic that is sealed at the seams. We then install a dehumidifier which will keep moisture levels low, reducing the chances of mold, mildew, and that overall musty smell.
Crawlspace encapsulation improves the health of your home or business, increases the air quality, and prevents insect infestations.
In addition to its other benefits, crawlspace encapsulation does increase energy efficiency. This is because it prevents air from outside getting in, meaning less cold and gusty blows in winter and scorching waves of heat in summer.
As locals, we service our local Nashville and Middle TN area including places such as:
Yes, we do work directly with homeowners! We also work with general contractors and commercial clients.
With crawl space encapsulation done right, you can expect to have all the surface area in your crawl space covered with high-density reinforced liners which work to limit moisture and humidity. They will prevent pests from working their way into your crawl space and you can also expect improved comfort and lower energy bills at your home or business building since you won’t have to run your HVAC as often to enjoy greater comfort.
Crawlspace Encapsulation from Complete Insulation
If you’re in Murfreesboro, Brentwood, Thompson's Station, Nashville, Spring Hill, and Franklin, TN and you haven’t had your crawl space encapsulated, make sure to call the experts at Complete Insulation! We are a locally owned business and we work hard to earn your satisfaction and trust with a job that is done flawlessly. We do quality work and we offer free inspections and quotes. When you hire us for your crawl space encapsulation, we’ll have your entire crawl space covered with advanced Viper CS vapor barriers which will ensure that you no longer have to deal with the threat of mold, mildew, pests, radon, moisture build-up, and high humidity. We also will install a quality dehumidifier to ensure your crawl space remains moisture free.
Make Sure Your Crawlspace is Sealed and Safe
When you’re looking for crawl space encapsulation done right, nobody does the job better than Complete Insulation! Give us a call at (615) 614-8800 for a free quote. Our management, staff and install crews have well over two decades of real-world experience. We go above and beyond to ensure the job is done right the first time every time and we work hard to achieve 100%. When you work with us, you can expect improved energy efficiency, better air quality, and greater comfort in your home or business building, so don’t hesitate to reach out to us!